Last Updated on February 17, 2021 by Admin
Easy chilli con carne
One of the ways I consistently save money on my grocery shop is I very rarely buy cooking sauces and instead make my own from scratch. It might not sound like much but aside from being a lot cheaper, it is much healthier too as you know exactly what is going into your sauces.
It only takes a quick scan of the list of ingredients on the side of a typical jar of sauce to how many additives and preservatives are included in many, so do your wallet and your body a favour and make your own instead!
I have been making this basic chilli recipe for years now. I always make in bulk and then freeze family size portions so we can have tasty, home cooked meals on evenings where time is short.
In addition to this easy chilli con carne recipe I have also included a couple of different ideas on how to serve it.
Easy Chilli Con Carne Recipe
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 beef stock cube
450g lean mince
400g (1 standard tin) chopped tinned tomatoes
2-3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp chipotle sauce (Bbq sauce can be substituted)
1 can kidney beans or chilli beans
1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
1-2 chillis, sliced (again you may omit this for young children)
- Heat the oil in the pan and fry the onion on a medium heat until soft.
- Add the mince beef and brown. Crumble over the stock cube and add in the kidney beans, cayenne pepper, chipotle sauce and chillis if using. Continue to mix well on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Once everything is browned and well mixed, add the chopped tomatoes and passata and mix well. Turn up the heat to medium/high until the sauce is bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer for at least 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Add in the tomato puree to thicken and leave to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with boiled rice and a dollop of sour cream.
This is a great way to serve as a lighter meal as the portion size is easily controlled. It would also make a good sharing plate for entertaining friends.
Ingredients – per serving
1-2 handfuls plain nachos per person (I like Aldi own brand, 47p for 200g)
1 portion chilli con carne recipe above
1 portion of my trashy nacho cheese sauce – find the recipe here! – (You can omit this sauce for ease and just use grated cheese if you wish.)
Extra grated cheese of your choice
Sour cream and salsa dips to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Line a bowl or serving dish with baking paper. Add in the nachos and pour over the chilli.
- Pour over the cheese sauce if using. Sprinkle the extra grated cheese on top
- Bake in the oven for around 10 minutes or until the grated cheese has melted.
- Eat straight out of the bowl or use the baking paper to easily transfer to another dish or plate.
Chilli Beef Enchiladas
8 Soft tortillas
4 portions basic chilli recipe
200 ml passata
1-2 tsp cayenne chilli powder to taste
1 tbsp chipotle sauce or BBQ sauce
Grated cheese of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 160 C (Fan 140 C).
- Mix the passata and chipotle together and set aside. Extra chillis or cayenne pepper can be added if you like it hot like me!
- Spoon the chilli into the middle of each tortilla and roll into a burrito.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with cooking spray or brush with oil and lay the rolled torillas in the dish with the fold underneath.
- Pour the sauce over the top so each tortilla is covered.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Bake in the over for 15-20 mins until the cheese is golden.
- Serve with rice and your choice of vegetables.
Want more recipe ideas? I love this super simple pizza bagel recipe from Mrs Pinch.com